Cosmos ,Sanatan Dharma.Ancient Hinduism science.
The PARSHURAMESHWAR TEMPLE GUDIMALLAI Andhra Pradesh India
A Gudimallam village about 30 kms from Tirupati in the Tirupati – Sri kalahasti route near to PapaNaidupeta, has got great prominence because it has a beautiful Shiva Temple, which is popularly known as “the Parasurameswara Temple.” This is considered as the oldest Shiva temple identified so far tracing to 3rd century BC. The Lord here is known as Parasurameshwara, and this lingam is believed to depict the trinity. The legend of the temple connects it to Parasurama, an avatar (incarnation) of Lord Vishnu.
Renowned for its earliest extant sivalinga in India datable to second/third centuries B. C. the main temple consists an apsidal shrine in lower level with Ardha
Mandapam and mahamandapam in front, all facing east and each higher than the previous one. The Main entrance to the shrine is, however from the south side of Maha mandala when the walled enclosure is added by an ornamental pillared porch (dwarapala). The main shrine is closed all round externally by a peristyle cloister,the Vimana over the shrine is of brick,hollow inside and is apsidal on plan,elevation resembling a linga nut hence termed as lingakruti Vimana. The sanctum has a false ceiling over wooden joints. A devi shrine is added at north-west corner.other minor shrines within the prakara include kartikya and subramanya,a plain gopura is provided at the western entrance of the compound wall.the stone temple complex is in late pallava/bana and chola style and good number of inscribed records speak of the perpetual gifts made by kings,the earliest belonging to the bana’s(a feudatory royal family under the later pallava’s,circa 842-904 centuries AD) and latest of the time of yadaya devaraya(AD 1346) inscription of the time of vikramachola refers to complete rebuilding of the temple in 1126 a.d. along with gopura and the well.
The linga on its frontal faceta relief figure standing siva. He has two hands the right one holds a ram by the hind legs head hanging downwards. In the left a globular pot is held and a battle axe(parasu) rests on the left shoulder. The linga is fixed within two stone rings during the earliest phase inside the sanctum which served as arghapitha. The standing form of the god reveals Vedic and protopuranic concepts of Rudra. He is shown standing on the shoulders of a crouching dwarf Yaksha whose features are unique. He is seated on the knees body shrunken, and light teethed as if resisting the super lord. The ears are leaf shaped while the terminals of feet show their merman affinity this save dika linga set up was apparently in open during the early centuries B.C. and surrounded by allow three bared on slabs ecalling of baruhut and bodhgaya. The tops of the railing were found broken,but now renovated to its original height and matching color expect the main linga and the pithas surrounding by a stone railing all the other structural embellishments are later additions by successive rulers and the temple continued to be venerated from circa third century B.C. down to the present day.